Family Health Centers, Inc. is a not-for-profit community health center that provides a variety of health care services regardless of a person’s health insurance status or ability to pay for services.
We provide our services to more than 43,000 patients annually through eight Family Health Centers sites throughout Louisville Metro. All Family Health Centers sites and laboratories are accredited by The Joint Commission. FHC is also a certified Patient Centered Medical Home.
Being a Patient Centered Medical Home means Family Health Centers is guided by the following principles:
- Patient Centered
- Care When You Need Us
- Comprehensive Care
- Coordinated Care
- High Quality and Safe
The mission of the Family Health Centers, Inc. is to provide access to high quality primary and preventive care services without regard to the ability to pay.
At Family Health Centers, Inc. we will provide you and your family with the same care and attention we want for our families and ourselves.
In 1976, Family Health Centers, Inc. was established by the Louisville-Jefferson County Board of Health to improve access to high quality primary and preventive health services for residents of the Louisville Metro area. The health center opened as the Louisville Memorial Primary Care Center and the Board of Health created a freestanding Board of Governors to operate the new health center. In 1985, the organization changed its name to “Family Health Centers” and a few years later the organization was incorporated as a non-profit organization.
In 1979, Family Health Centers received its first federal grant under Section 330 of the Public Health Service Act which established the organization as a federally qualified health center. This grant helped the organization to open a second site in the Shelby/Manly-Meriwether neighborhood (now the East Broadway site) in 1981. From 1985 to 2007 Family Health Centers expanded its operations and opened five additional locations throughout Louisville: 1985 – Fairdale, 1988-Iroquois and Phoenix (formerly known as the St. John Health Center for the Homeless), 2004 – Southwest, and 2007 – Americana. The most recent expansion has been the addition of FHC-West Market, which opened in November of 2017.
Our Historical Campus: Family Health Centers – Portland
The Family Health Centers – Portland site is located on the campus of the original U.S. Marine Service Hospital, which opened in 1847 to serve merchant seamen while their boats were passing through the Portland Canal on the Ohio River. During the latter part of the Civil War, the Marine Service Hospital was used to treat war casualties and after the war the hospital resumed its original mission to treat merchant seamen. The hospital remained in operation until the construction of the new hospital facility was completed in 1933. The original hospital building, now called Marine Hall, is presently vacant and stands behind to the newer building.
The Marine Service Hospital was one of 27 U.S. Public Health Service Hospitals dedicated to the treatment of men serving in the Merchant Marine Corps. In 1947 the hospital closed and the building was transferred to the Public Buildings Administration as surplus. The City of Louisville purchased the building and renovated, reopening the hospital in 1953 as the Louisville Memorial Hospital to care for individuals with chronic illnesses.
In 1975, the ownership of the hospital was given to the Louisville-Jefferson County Board of Health. In 1976, the last patient was discharged from the Louisville Memorial Hospital and in the same year the Board of Health established the Louisville Memorial Primary Care Center. The Louisville Memorial Primary Care Center later changed its name to Family Health Centers, and this site is now known as Family Health Centers – Portland site and is the main clinical and administrative site for the organization.
To learn more about the U.S. Marine Hospital and efforts to restore this historical Louisville site, visit the U.S. Marine Hospital Foundation at http://www.marinehospital.org/.