The Survivors of Torture Services (STS) program is a comprehensive service to refugees and immigrants who have experienced torture in their home countries. We provide a safe, welcoming, confidential, trauma-informed and culturally-appropriate setting where survivors can begin the healing process. Our services include:
- Direct mental health and psychiatric services,
- Social service and medical care coordination, and
- Legal service referrals.
We provide a place for community; we offer survivors the opportunity to reclaim safety, capability, productivity, and hope.
The United States defines torture as “an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control.” Unfortunately, torture practices still occur in many parts of the world. Its effects travel far beyond the person who was tortured, as it can affect their families and the larger community. The Survivors of Torture Services seeks to serve any person from outside the United States who has experienced the following:
- Threat or torture,
- Witness of torture,
- Witness to the threat of torture, or
- Close family members of those who are survivors of torture.
The Survivors of Torture Services is a program within the Family Health Centers (FHC) Refugee Health department. In 2012, the STS began as the Survivors of Torture Recovery Center (STRC) under the University of Louisville’s Kent School of Social Work, with federal grant funding from the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement. In January 2019, the STRC transferred to the Family Health Centers and became the Survivors of Torture Services. Housed on the campus of the Americana Community Center and adjacent to the FHC-Americana site, the STS provides holistic, integrated, individualized care for this highly traumatized population.
Survivors of Torture Services, are co-located with the Americana Community Center, at:
- 4803 Southside Dr, Louisville, KY 40214
- Phone: 502.772.8891 Fax 502.363.8613
Items to Donate to Survivors of Torture Services
The STS clients benefit directly from your donations. Our program is currently in need of the following:
- Gift cards to local grocery stores
- Oxford Picture Dictionary, 2nd Edition, Monolingual and/or Arabic editions
- Microwaveable moist heating packs for back, neck, and shoulders I.e. “Bed Buddy”
- Ice packs to use on head, neck, etc.
- Soft/Fluffy throws and pillows for hugging/comforting
- Radios for calming music and English language exposure
- 12-36 packs of colored pencils
- Erasers for colored pencils
- Model Magic in individual-size packs
- Small CD players
- CDs with classical music, relaxing nature sounds, spa-type music
- Large, fuzzy colorful pipe cleaners
- Lavender essential oil
- Orange essential oil
To donate items, please call
502-772-8891 to make arrangements.
Referrals or Help with Survivors of Torture Services
Use the form below to contact the Survivors of Torture Services.