Referrals and Other Paperwork

How do I get a referral to a specialist?

You must first see your Family Health Center provider about the health problem. Then, they can refer you to a specialist or recommend one for you.

If you have questions about the status of a referral or need it to be renewed, call your FHC site and select the “Request a Referral” option on the phone menu.

How long will it take to get papers filled out by my provider?

We ask that you allow at least three (3) working days for your provider to complete paperwork.

Test Results

Will someone call me with my x-ray or lab results?

Patients are notified of abnormal results.  Please make sure FHC has a good contact number for you.  Patients may also call triage to obtain x-ray or lab results. Results are typically available within one (1) week of the procedure.

Dental Services

How do I become a dental patient?

FHC-Portland and FHC-Phoenix Dental are now accepting new patients.  You no longer have to be a Family Health Centers medical patient to receive a dental appointment.  Both FHC Dental Clinics accept walk-in patients and scheduled appointments.  Call FHC-Portland 772-8160 or FHC-Phoenix Healthcare for the Homeless 569-6972 for an appointment 

Medical Records

How can I get a copy of my records?

Call the health center site you usually visit and ask for the Medical Records Department.  You will be asked to complete a “Request for Records” form.  You will be asked to present your photo ID when requesting and picking up your record.  The Release of Information Clerk will contact you once your records are ready to be picked up.  FHC will not allow anyone other than the patient or legal representative (parent, legal guardian, etc.) to pick up the records.  Your records will not be mailed.

How long will it take to get my records?

Requests are processed in the order they are received.  Most requests will be responded to within 30 days.

Will I be charged for my records?

The KY state law allows the patient to receive one free copy of their medical record.  If additional copies are requested, you will be charged a reasonable fee for the copies.  Payment is required before copies can be received.

Front Office - Registration

Can I mail or fax my Proof of Income, address, or insurance?

No.  The patient is required to sign the statement verifying the income, family size, and insurance information provided is accurate and complete after updating their account.  Only the patient, parent, guardian, or legal representative may sign this statement.

I am paid in cash. What documents do I need to provide to be eligible for the Sliding Fee Discount Program?

You can bring in a signed statement, on official letterhead, from your employer stating how much you make hourly, weekly, etc.

Do I have to check-in at the front desk if I am here just for a lab or an x-ray?

Yes. All patients need to check-in with the front desk, for every medical and dental visit including labs and x-rays.  In addition, if you have any changes to your insurance status or income, please check-in with the front desk to update your information as this may impact what you are billed for by Family Health Centers.

Women's Health

How do I get an appointment for a pap smear or mammogram?

Call to make an appointment with your provider for a female exam.  At that appointment, your provider can do the pelvic exam and can do the paperwork for your mammogram, if it is the right time for a screening.


What should I bring for my child’s first physical?

  • A copy of your child’s immunization records
  • Name, address, and phone number of previous pediatricians, in order to request records
  • Proof of insurance (if available)

Please note that a Parent or Guardian must be present for physicals.

My child is sick and I cannot bring her in. Can my mother bring her for this visit?

We prefer for a parent or guardian to be at the appointment so that important questions about the child and the illness can be answered at the time of the visit.  If the parent cannot make it, only an adult listed on the Proxy form can bring the child.

How can I get my child’s up-to-date Immunization Record?

The best time to request an Immunization Record is at the time of your child’s physical or when shots are being given.  If your child is not due for a physical or shots, you may request an immunization record through the Triage Nurse.  Please allow 24-48 hours to fulfill this request.


How do I get a refill for my prescription?

If the prescription is filled at the FHC-Portland Pharmacy, call 772-8625 to get a refill.  If there are no refills available the pharmacy will contact your provider.

If the prescription is filled at an outside pharmacy, call that pharmacy and they will fax a request that will go to your provider.

If a provider outside of FHC prescribes a medicine for me, can I still get it filled at FHC?

Bring your prescription to your FHC site and ask to see a triage nurse. If your provider co-signs the prescription, you may fill it through the Family Health Centers Pharmacy.

After Hours Care

What do I do if I am sick when FHC is closed?

If you need to contact a provider after hours or on holidays, call the center you usually go to. An answering service will have the physician-on-call return your call as soon as possible. For emergency care, please call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Department at a local hospital.

Language Services

How do I request an interpreter?

When you call FHC or come to a FHC site, you should let the staff person know what language you speak and ask for an interpreter. Even if you can schedule your appointment in English, you may still ask for an interpreter for your visit with the provider.

Can a friend or family member interpret for me?

Family Health Centers encourages you to use an interpreter that we provide who has been trained as a medical interpreter.  This will ensure the most accurate communication between you and our staff.

Title VI

What Is Title VI?

Family Health Centers honors Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.  Title VI is a national law that protects people from dis-crim-in-a-tion. Programs or activities that receive money from the Federal government may not discriminate based on a person’s race, color, or national origin – this includes health care providers like Family Health Centers, hospitals, health departments, and any health care provider who accepts Medicaid and Medicare.

Some types of discrimination prohibited by Title VI include:

  •  Providing services more limited in scope or lower in quality
  • Limiting participation in a program

We are committed to providing clear communication and respectful care to everyone. As part of Title VI, we provide qualified medical interpreters free of charge. Patients or family members who speak limited English, or who are deaf or hard of hearing, have the right to ask for an interpreter.

Your Rights

You or your representative may file a complaint with HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) if you believe you have been discriminated against by a health care and human services provider because of: race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability or religion:

Phone: 1-800-368-1019 (Voice); 1-800-537-7697 (TDD)


You may also contact Family Health Centers’ Compliance Officer at 502-772-8400.